Just a quick release to fix a bug with editing manually added items. Due to changes in version 2.6 selecting edit in the favourites or shopping list context menu was crashing the app. Both Pro and Free versions are in the Google Play Store now.
Paperless List V2.6 is out. I managed to add more features but also optimise the app to use less memory:
Here is the change log:
- Re-order the shopping list and favourites using drag and drop (use the handle on the left of the item)
- Flattened out design. The action bar is now just white and that nasty dark grey gradient Android uses for the default background is now just black.
- Using less memory. This was done as part of the changes for list re-ordering, using less views in the lists and following some Android best practices. The savings are around 18% memory for the same number of products in the shopping list (according to dumpsys meminfo)
- Enabled spelling suggestions in the keyboard for manually adding products
- Bug fix: performing a cross off gesture is no longer possible once the long press context menu appears
- Bug fix: £ char not encoded correctly in email sharing
Paperless List version 2.5 is now in the Google Play Store. Both pro and free versions have been updated. Here is the list of changes:
- Removed Bump sharing (its being turned off at the end of Jan 2014)
- New high resolution icons
- Checkboxes in settings easier to press
- Text-to-speech voice now uses current Android system locale instead of US voice
It’s a shame Bump is being turned off but it means Paperless List now uses less permissions (location, vibrate and read phone state have now been removed). The shopping list can still be shared using email or Android Beam on devices with NFC running Android 4.0 or above.
Today I uploaded version 2.4 of Paperless List to the Google Play Store. Both Pro and Free versions have been updated. Here is the full change log:
- Chain scan items option. This allows the barcode scanner to re-launch immediately after scanning an item. Go to settings from main screen menu to enable it
- Made it more obvious when app is working in background
- List message not cleared on first manual add
- Text-to-speech fixes
- Fixed barcode scanning from search
- Fixed scanning same item twice (it duplicated the item before rather than updating quantity)
- Fixed total in favourites
- Force close fixes
- Fixed second search appending results to list sometimes
- Fixed adding manual item to favourites from list
- Lock orientation wasn’t working sometimes
- Fixed previous search results not clearing when no results found
- Progress shown in search if barcode scan cancelled
- Tidied up gesture code
- Share list with Android Beam (Android 4+ only, 2 NFC devices required)
- Option to read scanned product name using Text-to-speech (setting menu in main screen)
- New action bar with expandable boxes for search and manual add
- Lock orientation option in shopping list
- Crossed off items are now greyed out
- Cross off an item twice to delete it
- Enabled hardware acceleration
- Force close fixes
- Only supports Android 2.1+
- Fixed barcode scanning from favourites
- Gestures on duplicate items fixed
- Made ok/cancel right way round in ICS+
- Button style squared off slightly to match ICS/Jellybean style more
- Sharing dialogue turned into action bar sub menu
- Progress indicators reworked
Unfortunately due to the reworked action bar it only supports Android version 2.1 and above now (previously it was 1.6 and above).
Paperless List V2.2 is now in the Android Market. Here is the full change log:
- Add with quantity from favourites fixed
- Force close fixes
- Updated libraries
- Height of action bar in Bump share screen fixed
A quick bug fix release this one. There were some force close bugs introduced by the V2.0 release that I had to fix. Specifically when sending an item to the phone via chrome to phone and sometimes when scanning a barcode.
I have just uploaded Paperless List V2.0 to the Android Market. Both Pro and Free versions have been updated. It’s a fairly major update as I have reworked the UI to use fragments and tweaked the action bar.
- Dual pane landscape view for main screen, search, shopping list and favourites.
- Reworked action bar at the top with Honeycomb-esque home/back button and larger icons.
- Most recent search results saved.
- Sped up background operations.
- Disabled Bump sharing for devices without IMEI as these aren’t supported by the Bump API. Things like Wi-fi only tablets used to force close.
- Bug fix: gap below buttons in dialogue boxes removed.
- Bug fix: landscape keyboard “Done” button now works as expected.
- Bug fix: search button aligned with text box
Unfortunately, I had to remove support for Android 1.5 in order to use fragments. However, this only affects a small percentage of users and they should still be able to use the old version.
- Share list via plain text email or Bump with another device nearby (Menu\Share list on the shopping list screen)
- Better error handling
- Bug fix: Force close on crossing off manual items containing apostrophe
- Progress shown when loading image on product details screen
- Size of icons in top bar increased slightly for HVGA devices (easier to touch)
Bump sharing is a simple way to share a PaperLess List with a device nearby. Once on the Bump sharing screen tap the “Connect” button on both devices. After Bump has warmed up on both devices simply Bump them together to connect. Once connected click the “Send List” button to send the shopping list to the other device. The receiving device has it’s list merged with the sending device so that nothing is deleted.
I have just uploaded version 1.6 of Paperless List to the Android Market. Also there is now a “Pro” version available for 99p. This has all the same features of the free version but does not contain any ads. Speaking of features both versions now have:
- Favourites list for saving items regularly added to the shopping list. This goes for manually added and Tesco items. The price of Tesco items is not displayed in the favourites list as it might get out of date. Instead the latest price is obtained from Tesco when it is added to the list.
- Quantities of Tesco items in the shopping list can now be set. A new long press option “Add with quantity” appears in search and favourites. There is also a “Change quantity” long press option in the shopping list. This is taken into account when showing the main total and the price of items in the list. Adding duplicate items now totals them up.
- Edit manual items either in the shopping list or favourites
- Buttons no longer have the default Android colouring. Instead they have a blue gradient.
- Bug fix: More details page sped up
- Bug fix: force close when deleting items containing a single quote character
- Bug fix: going to Android market for the Barcode Scanner app now goes straight to the app instead of to a single item list
Reminder: Paperless List Free and Pro are both UK only apps.