The Tesco API has been experiencing some problems lately. On around 26th October its SSL certificate expired. They fixed this last week but anonymous login was broken. Anonymous login allows Paperless List to access data on Tesco products for sale without the need for a tesco.com account. I learned today from the Tesco Labs team on Twitter that anonymous login has been disabled because it was being abused (not by me but presumably other app developers). This means most of the functionality of Paperless List doesn’t work so I removed it from the Google Play Store. Existing users can still use the app but it will only work with manually added (i.e. not Tesco) products. It’s a shame because I have been working on a material design update for the app for a while. It looks like this:
Paperless List may be resurrected with a login screen in order for it to work again with the Tesco API.
Edit: Tesco have a new API with anonymous login but it has less features. I am exploring the possibility of using it and keeping tabs on its development
Paperless List V2.9 is now out in the Google Play Store. I added a new feature to display nutritional info:
Just long press on an item in the list, search results or favourites and select the “Nutritional info” option. Values for energy per item and per 100g are shown. The real value in the feature is the traffic light system. Based on FSA guidelines this is a simple way to show if a product has low (green), medium (amber) or high (red) levels of fat, saturates, sugar and salt. Unfortunately, Tesco doesn’t have nutritional info on every product but hopefully they’ll add more in future. I also fixed a bug with scanning items on the list screen. It wasn’t adding them immediately because you had to navigate back out of the list and go back in to see the scanned item.
Paperless List V2.8 is out on the Google Play Store. Just a quick release to use the new Tesco API.
I have just released Paperless List V2.7 to the Google Play Store. Only the free version has been updated because soon I will be removing the Pro version. By the end of the week it will be gone. All my apps from now on will be free and also ad free. That is unless I need to pay for hosting a web service or something. Here is the change log for V2.7:
- Removed adverts
- Fixed clear the favourites list
Just a quick release to fix a bug with editing manually added items. Due to changes in version 2.6 selecting edit in the favourites or shopping list context menu was crashing the app. Both Pro and Free versions are in the Google Play Store now.
Paperless List V2.6 is out. I managed to add more features but also optimise the app to use less memory:
Here is the change log:
- Re-order the shopping list and favourites using drag and drop (use the handle on the left of the item)
- Flattened out design. The action bar is now just white and that nasty dark grey gradient Android uses for the default background is now just black.
- Using less memory. This was done as part of the changes for list re-ordering, using less views in the lists and following some Android best practices. The savings are around 18% memory for the same number of products in the shopping list (according to dumpsys meminfo)
- Enabled spelling suggestions in the keyboard for manually adding products
- Bug fix: performing a cross off gesture is no longer possible once the long press context menu appears
- Bug fix: £ char not encoded correctly in email sharing
Paperless List version 2.5 is now in the Google Play Store. Both pro and free versions have been updated. Here is the list of changes:
- Removed Bump sharing (its being turned off at the end of Jan 2014)
- New high resolution icons
- Checkboxes in settings easier to press
- Text-to-speech voice now uses current Android system locale instead of US voice
It’s a shame Bump is being turned off but it means Paperless List now uses less permissions (location, vibrate and read phone state have now been removed). The shopping list can still be shared using email or Android Beam on devices with NFC running Android 4.0 or above.
A new version of PaperLess List (free and pro) is available in the Google Play Store. Here is the full change log:
- Share list with Android Beam (Android 4+ only, 2 NFC devices required)
- Option to read scanned product name using Text-to-speech (setting menu in main screen)
- New action bar with expandable boxes for search and manual add
- Lock orientation option in shopping list
- Crossed off items are now greyed out
- Cross off an item twice to delete it
- Enabled hardware acceleration
- Force close fixes
- Only supports Android 2.1+
- Fixed barcode scanning from favourites
- Gestures on duplicate items fixed
- Made ok/cancel right way round in ICS+
- Button style squared off slightly to match ICS/Jellybean style more
- Sharing dialogue turned into action bar sub menu
- Progress indicators reworked
Unfortunately due to the reworked action bar it only supports Android version 2.1 and above now (previously it was 1.6 and above).